Wednesday, November 11, 2009

November 11, 1911







Here I am mixing gold and silver again. I wanted to wear this outfit with the gold buttons and jewelry on my day off, but I always wear these dogtags on November 11 in memory of my grandfather, hence the mix of metals.

The dogtags are my grandfather's from World War II. He was born on November 11, 1911 (11-11-11!) and his birthday was later designated Armistice Day. My grandfather served in the army, and the story goes that due to his religious and personal ethical beliefs, he was put in a non-killing post in the galley of a ship in the Pacific. Years later, in the 1980's, he kept his barracks bag hanging in his garage, and when the grandkids acted up, he would threaten to hang us in the barracks bag if we didn't behave.

My grandfather passed away 20 years ago, so I never got to know him as a adult, but he had a tremendous influence on me as a child. He would spend lots of time playing with me and telling me stories of his family and childhood, and listening to me talk about anything and everything, building doll furniture, and playing dress up. Oh, how I loved to dress him in wigs and hats and skirts. When he was around, I always knew that I was loved very much. I miss my Pap.

Where:
errands around the neighborhood, book club, dinner

What:
Jacket: from a little boutique in Northern Virginia (it's the jacket that goes with the skirt worn here)
T-shirt: Mossimo for Target
Jeans: Gap
Boots: Nine West
Gold Necklace: vintage
Dogtags: my grandfather's from WWII
Earrings: Aldo??
Panda Coin Ring: gift from my parents in the 1990's
Bangle (new!): won in a giveaway on My Edit

I wanted to include some pictures of my grandfather and me when I was little, but unfortunately they're all in Pennsylvania in my parents' photo albums. Here's my grandfather as a dashing young man in his service uniform. Picture courtesy of his late sister Mary, framed by my grandmother Julia.

4 comments:

  1. I love these boots and this look! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1. Yeah... you got the bangle!
    #2. Wicked boots.
    #3. That's is so neat that you have your grandfather's dogtags...so special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the folded up jeans and the lace up boots! Very cute! And I hope this is not COMPLETELY inappropriate, but your grandfather was HOT! He looks like a film star in his photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. Thank you for sharing your story about your grandad with us. I always have a special place in my heart for grandfathers. That is a great photo you have of him as well - so dapper. :-)

    I have to tell you, the outfit is great - but I couldn't tear my eyes away from your bookshelves. I want something just like that, but in a dark dark wood to match my desk. Its very nice!!

    ReplyDelete