Tuesday, November 3, 2009

4-H Project





I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty...

I learned to sew in 4-H. Every year I did a different sewing project to advance my skills. The first year I made a simple nightgown, the second year a simple skirt, the third a sleeveless dress, the fourth a dress with sleeves, the fifth something with wool. The sixth and seventh years, I picked my own projects. I also sewed other things in addition to my 4-H projects.

This sheath dress was supposed to be my seventh year 4-H sewing project. The dress pattern had sleeves, but I preferred it sleeveless to relieve the bulk underneath the matching jacket. The jacket is reversible, black on one side and red plaid on the other. I got as far as cutting the pattern pieces, then decided I wasn't interested in finishing it right away. It sat for a while, and my mother was worried that I would never finish it and the fabric would go to waste, so she offered to make the dress and jacket for me. Thanks, Mom!



Where:
work, errands

What:
Dress: made for me by my mother
Blouse: Express
White Tights: Capezio
Argyle Socks: Xhileration for Target
Shoes: Ann Taylor LOFT (thrifted)
Faux Pearl Earrings: mine from the early 90's
Onyx Cross Pendant: from the market on Portobello Road

4 comments:

  1. What a cute idea to pair the socks with that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was so mean, she never let me join 4H and that was all I wanted...So, did you never get your badge (or whatever they give out) for your seventh project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, I never got the ribbon for my sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the dress worn with those socks, over the leggings. great outfit.

    ReplyDelete