Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fall Whites





Here I am mixing gold and silver yet again, this time because the mixed metal chains are all part of the same necklace. I guess I can no longer say I don't like mixing metals. It may not be my dominant look, but I certainly do it from time to time.

This outfit was inspired by Marie McGrath from The Joy of Fashion. She's worn two outfits this month featuring white skirts, here and here. I was particularly inspired by the latter outfit, with the sleeveless sweater over the print top and the darker tights and boots. The fall colors on top and the darker bottoms are a great way to work a white skirt in the fall, so I gave it a try.

I got this skirt last summer from a little hole-in-the-wall shop in Vancouver that had crazy cheap dance costumes and miscellaneous t-shirts and tourist gear. I got a white and a light blue version of this skirt for $3 each (or maybe $5?). I haven't worn this skirt as much as I anticipated I would because the synthetic fabric and the lining are too hot and sticky for warm summer days. The extra warmth was perfect for fall weather though, and the fabric doesn't stick to my tights!

Where:
errands around downtown, work

What:
Sheer Print Blouse: thrifted in Pennsylvania for 50 cents
Sweater: Behnaz Sarafpour for Target
Skirt: from a hole-in-the-wall shop in Vancouver
Brown Tights: ??
Boots: Nine West
Belt: B. Moss, came with a pair of khakis purchased in or around 1994
Necklace: Objects Found
Silver Hoop Earrings: gift from my parents
Leather Coat: Wilson's Leather
White Scarf: handmade by my grandmother
Bag: thrifted earlier this week


6 comments:

  1. I just love wearing whites into fall and winter, and you did it so well! I love the tiny bit of white skirt peeking out from under you coat!

    Thank you for all of your well wishes! You are so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very impressive how you make a white skirt work for cold weather - that's a tricky thing to pull off! Love the blouse with the sweater, and great colors on you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I love how seamlessly that necklace fits in with this outfit! I really like the bundled up look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great boots!!! and I love how your pics are in the city, makes me want to be there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wao!! I feel so honored to have inspired you to make an outfit! You did such a great job! I love the colors u used an the print top u used... very very nice and completely fall appropriate! Thanks so much for your kind comments and for mentioning me on your great blog!!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete