Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Shades of Beige







I feel like I'm getting so much better at layering for the cold. A few years ago, I would never have dared to wear a skirt in 20-degree weather. Today, I started with black pantyhose, then put a thicker pair of black tights on top, then put an even thicker pair of black cable sweater tights on top of that. Then wool socks, leg warmers (which were covering my knees while outside, then folded down over my boots inside), and finally my skirt and leather boots. I was warm enough during my commute.

This outfit also utilizes many of my thrifted designer items: Trina Turk, Ralph Lauren and Marc Jacobs.

I watched (500) Days of Summer last night. As I have been hearing for months, it is a good movie and Zooey Deschanel's costuming rocks.

Tonight, I had two book clubs. First up was my first visit to a group of lawyers that meets downtown after work: the Law & Literature Committee. :-) The book was Christopher Buckley's Supreme Courtship. It was good. I realized after I read it that Buckley also wrote the novel on which the movie Thank You for Smoking was based. Great movie.

Second was an alumni book club that I've been part of for years, which meets a bit later in the evening in a bar in my neighborhood. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith was the book. Interesting concept, but just an okay read.

Where:
work, book clubs

What:
Sweater: H&M (new!)
Crewneck Top: Liz Claiborne
Skirt: Trina Turk (thrifted, $3)
Elbow-Patch Jacket: Lauren by Ralph Lauren (thrifted, $5)
Necklace: vintage from Granny S. (new to me!)
Bangle Bracelets: mix of vintage from my mom and gift from Sabrina
Earrings: mine from the 1990's
Flower Brooch: vintage from Granny S. (new to me!)
Black Sweater Tights: from Filene's Basement
Legwarmers: from a dance catalog
Boots: Nine West
Bag: Marc Jacobs (thrifted, $12)



7 comments:

  1. Love it all Miss Gina!! Fantastic Job at the layering. I am still trying to master it so I won't be stuck in pants all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your layering! I just started to layer my tights as well, and it makes all the difference!

    I have been thinking of joining a book club...do you enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving that blazer and the socks with your boots...LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JUST this morning I was putting on legwarmers under my boots (which look like yours), and I toyed with folding them over the top like this. I ended up not doing it just because the color of my legwarmers didn't really work with the rest of my outfit, but that's too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this outfit, especially the sweater! Great job staying warm and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O wow, I love all of these sweaters you wear all the time, they look so warm and comfy!
    and . .

    Thanks for your comment on my blog! I always love reader feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to comment again on your bag. I know I told you before, but I LOVE IT!!! I can't believe you thrifted that amazing bag.

    ReplyDelete