Wednesday, April 28, 2010

New York City: Saturday and Sunday (and Monday, too)







Saturday morning, we went to Kitchen Arts & Letters, a well-known (or so I'm told) cookbook store on the Upper East Side. My boyfriend spent almost an hour browsing, and purchased several books. I lasted almost 10 minutes in the shop, then went for a walk and picked up coffee & a pastry. We met up with some friends for a stroll through central park to Harlem. We shopped at a market (I got art) and had a late lunch at Sylvia's. Then we saw Fela, the new(-ish) Broadway musical based on the life and music of Nigerian musician Fela Kuti. Great show. Great, great show. My boyfriend was already a fan of the musician, I love Broadway musicals and enjoyed the music and dancing and acting and staging and theatre design and etc. and etc. Our friends had heard rave reviews and also enjoyed the show. Then we did some bar hopping for dinner and drinks from Midtown to the Lower East Side (or the East Village, I'm not sure; where is 11th St and 2nd Ave?) meeting up with our friends, and their friends.

Sunday, my boyfriend cooked a tasty breakfast for our hosts while one of them bartended, making Bloody Mary's and mimosas; my Bloody Mary was good, but I should have asked for virgin after all the wine the night before. After breakfast, my boyfriend and I went to the Brooklyn Flea Market, where I purchased a ring and two wrap dresses made by a local designer, 3Free. My boyfriend resisted the urge to purchase anything. Before we arrived at the flea market, he made me promise not to let him purchase furniture, since we wouldn't be able to take it on the plane. I promised, and of course, I was the one who found a red card catalog that I wanted to get for my jewelry. I had to remind myself of the no-furniture-on-the-plane rule that he and I had instituted.

After the flea market, we headed out to the airport, only to discover that all flights from the New York area back to Chicago had been cancelled due to weather conditions. We stayed in a hotel in Newark (not the funnest part of the weekend) and finally made it home early Monday afternoon. All in all, a great trip. We had a great time with our friends. We did things that I had been wanting to do like visiting Harlem and Brooklyn. We saw a Broadway show, which I like to do at least once every time I'm in New York. We shopped, we saw jazz, and we went to more than one museum. I could probably go to the Met everytime I go to New York. I can't wait till the next time I get back to New York City! (maybe I'll get a wedding invitation, summoning me there this fall . . .)


Where:
around New York City

What (Saturday, above):
Dress: from Filene's Basement
White Tee: from Target
Denim Jacket: bdg (thrifted)
Grey Tights: from Filene's Basement
Boots: Nine West
Grey Scarf: handmade by my mother
Peace Sign Earrings: World Market
Cuff: from MoJo Jewelry in Wicker Park
Fork Bracelet: from a street vendor outside the Met
Arm Candy: my wonderful boyfriend


What (Sunday, below):
Sweater: ?? (thrifted)
White Tee: from Target
Dress: Topshop (new!)
Jeans: 21 (thrifted)
Boots: Nine West
Peace Sign Earrings: World Market
Cuff: from MoJo Jewelry in Wicker Park
Fork Bracelet: from a street vendor outside the Met
Ring: newly thrifted


Thanks to Deepa for the lovely photos of my boyfriend and me in Central Park. Thanks to my boyfriend for the photo of me in the subway in Brooklyn.


3 comments:

  1. I was just there last week. I love that city. Everytime I go, I always think how I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to go to NY !!! It seems like the dream city for fashion / artistic souls! I love the red pants outfit! I am gonna be doing an actual photo shoot soon and am so freaking excited! Maybe when I "make it" my hubs and I can move there! What was the coolest thing u saw ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, it looks like you guys had SUCH a great time! I've never been to NYC, but I really want to go.

    ReplyDelete