Friday, January 28, 2011

Friend Friday: Blogging Technology

Friend Friday is the creation of Katy of Modly Chic. Here are this weeks questions regarding technology used in blogging and the process of photo-taking:

1. What technology do you use in blogging? (computer, camera, video camera, tripod, etc...)
I use a Lumix point and shoot camera with a tripod or a gorillapod. I adjust the white balance and the setting for indoor vs. outdoor light. There's not much else I can set that's useful.

2. What computer and online technology do you use? (blogging system, photo storage, photo editing tools, etc..)
My blog is on Blogger. I host my photos on Flickr. I edit my photos using the basic photo editing system that is part of the basic no-frills-added software package that came with my Dell laptop. I basically edit my photos by cropping and adjusting for brightness, color temperature and saturation.

3. What is your process for taking pictures?
Right now, while it's freezing outside, I take my pictures in my house with a tripod before I leave for work. I'm usually in my kitchen or living room, but occasionally elsewhere.

When it's warmer, I take my camera and gorillapod to work with me in the Chicago Loop, and I go outside for 10-15 minutes in the afternoon and take pictures with the gorillapod attached to a signpost or stairway rail.

I have a 10-second and 2-second timer on my camera. I station the camera for the location I want, set the timer, walk into the frame and wait for the picture to take. I check the first photo to see how it came out and make adjustments if necessary. Once I'm getting the framing and look that I want, I just walk up to the front of the camera, reset the timer and go back into my posing spot. If I have on interesting jewelry or shoes or belt, I try to take a few photos focusing on just that area, but more often I end up taking almost all full-body shots and cropping them to focus on anything I particularly want to draw attention to. Mostly I use the 10-second timer, but sometimes the 2. I'd love a timer that's around 5 seconds long (10 is a bit long, 2 is often too short), or better yet a remote.

On rushed days, I take as little as 5-10 photos. On days when I have more time, I take anywhere from 10 to 30. I have my same few poses that I fall back on, but when I have time to take more photos, I experiment with different poses and movements.

4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily?
I tend to fall back on the same few locations near my office or home that I've used before and that I already know will work. Some considerations: good lighting, interesting background, easy maneuvering from camera to posing spot, not too crowded (people walking into the frame gets old quick), and somewhere to attach my gorillapod if I'm away from home. Near home, I'll use my regular tripod.

When I have appointments away from my office (including court), I try to find somewhere near my appointment to take the photos so I get some variation in backgrounds. I do occasionally ask my boyfriend to take pictures if we're out somewhere together.

5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying?
Oh, that's too easy. A new camera. With a remote. Or without. But really, a better quality camera is what I want.

5 comments:

  1. I've always wondered if you had help snapping your pictures. I think I'd feel kind of self-conscious taking my own pictures in the Loop, especially with a 10 second timer! But you probably get over that eventually, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!! Iam a new follower and also doing the FBFF!! love your answers.. actually I really like the questions this week.. so much to learn from everyone!! look forward to seeing your great outfits and photos!!
    nice to meet you!! cheers,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about getting a gorilla pod before I bought my tripod but I decided to get a standard one because I take most of my photos around the house. I am glad to hear they work well because I have still thought about getting one as a backup. I thought it would be nice for vacations and stuff so no one in the family would be left out of a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel ya on 2 seconds being too short and 10 being too long!! I'm always wishing for something in between. I'm thinking a remote is a definite need in our camera upgrades! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a number of bloggers talk about this gorillapod as an ideal tripod. I'm thinking I might need to look into that. - Katy

    ReplyDelete